Armchair Travel
Friday, March 03, 2006
  "This Girl and I Liked to Whirl"
When Ike was five he went to a family reunion at his uncle's house in Topeka. There were a lot of grownups there who didn't interest Ike much, so he started wandering around the grounds. An aggressive gander chased him back inside. His uncle gave him a broom handle and sent him out again.

"More frightened at the moment of his possible scolding than I was of aggression, I took what was meant to be a firm, but was really a trembling stand the next time the fowl came close. Then I let out a yell and rushed toward him, swinging the club as fast as I could. He turned and I gave him a satisfying smack right in the fanny.

"From thence on, once he found out I had a stick he would continue his belligerent noises whenever he saw me but he did not again come near me. I never made the mistake of being caught without my weapon," Ike concludes. "This all turned out to be a rather good lesson because I quickly learned never to negotiate with an adversary except from a position of strength."

I'm quoting this from "In Review," but it's probably from one of Ike's other four books. Here's a sample of Ike anecdotes:

He loves reading ancient history so much that his mother has to lock up his history books to get him to do his chores.

He gets in fistfights from time to time, when his cause is just, and usually comes out on top, by his account.

His mother, a pacifist, wept when he joined the military.

As a new cadet at West Point, he and another cadet were ordered to report to the room of this martinet senior in their dress coats. They reported in their dress coats and nothing else. They suffered for it, but they got a good laugh.

He receives a demerit at West Point for jitterbugging (It was termed indecent dancing.) with the same young woman after having previously being given a warning about the very same behavior. I guess I'll have to let Ike tell it for himself:

"After I became an upperclassman, I went to cadet dances only now and then, preferring to devote my time to poker. On one of the rare occasions when I did go to a dance, I met a girl, a daughter of one of the professors. We started dancing in a way that the authorities of the time felt was not in accord with the sedate two-step, polka and waltz that made up the repertoire of cadet dance music.

"This girl and I liked to whirl, just whirling around the room as rapidly as we could. I suppose the exercise probably showed a little more of the girl's ankles, possibly even reaching to her knees, than the sharp-eyed authorities thought was seemly. I was warned not to dance that way anymore.

"A few months later, it happened that I stopped in at a dance, possibly because it was one of the affairs known as a 'Feed Hop' where food was served late in the evening. Often the poker players would take a recess from our Saturday night game, rush over to get sandwiches and a cup of coffee and go back to the game.

"I met the same girl again and forgot entirely the warning issued earlier. The exuberant sensation of swinging around the room was too much for me to ignore and so, in due course, I was hailed before the Commandant. He informed me that I not only danced improperly, but had done so after a warning. For this offense I was demoted from the grade of sergeant to that of private.

"I was, in matters of discipline, far from a good cadet," Ike confesses. "While each demerit had an effect on class standing, this to me was of small moment. I enjoyed life at the Academy, and had a good time with my pals, and was far from disturbed by an additional demerit or two."
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
"This Dreadful Masterpiece"
Ike's Advice - Dien Bien Phu
"Our Predicament Was Damned Humiliating"
"An Experiement I Would Not Particularly Like to R...
Red Pants, That's France!
de Graff, de Grasse and the Siege at Yorktown
Consider the St. Lawrence Seaway
The Emperor and the Transient Preacher
A Tennis Racket on Omaha Beach
Kashmir Boatman - photo by David Rich


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger