Armchair Travel
Thursday, June 01, 2006
  Biking in Ireland
To all my friends in the blogosphere:

Sorry I have not posted for a week. I've been on a bicycle tour of the West of Ireland. I thought I would be able to blog from there, but we averaged just under 30 miles a day (not bad for a bunch of journalists) and I didn't even have time to use the jacuzzis.

I got a beautiful up-close and personal view of the Emerald Isle, though, smelled the manure and the burning peat and patted all the horsies we went by.

From the medieval banquet at Bunratty Castle to the ring forts of Inis Mor to the Stone Age tombs of The Burren to the breathtaking scenery of Connemara, it was truly an unforgettable experience, which you can read all about on GoNOMAD once I get it written.

As we drove to Shannon Airport to fly back to the States, we passed Kiltartan's Cross and I was reminded of the recitation that won me the Public Speaking Prize in the seventh grade back at Dexter School in Brookline, Massachusetts. I still know it by heart:


An Irish Airman Foresees His Death

by William Butler Yeats

I know that I shall meet my fate
Somewhere among the clouds above.
Those that I fight I do not hate.
Those that I guard I do not love.

My country is Kiltartan's Cross,
My countrymen Kiltartan's poor.
No likely end could bring them loss
Or leave them happier than before.

I balanced all, brought all to mind.
The years to come seemed waste of breath,
A waste of breath the years behind.
In balance with this life, this death.


This may sound a little corny, but I was truly moved by the indomitable spirit of the Irish people. After centuries of conquest, sacking, looting, famine and oppression, the Irish have always been head and shoulders above all other countries in literature, music, dance, and theater -- in short everything that is ennobling to the human spirit.

Things are better in Ireland now. They have full employment, and they even have 160,000 Polish immigrants to fill all the jobs that have been created by a economic mini-boom.

I asked our guide, John Heagney, whose family has been farming in Ireland for many generations, whether all this prosperity might mean that Ireland will have to relinquish its preeminence in the arts. He laughed and said it's a chance they're willing to take.

"Besides," he said, "maybe it's time for some other countries to have their turn."
 
Comments:
what a wonderful post! Love the Yeats, makes me want to read more. In Belfast our guide read us Yeats, god what a wordsmith. glad you had a fun trip, can't wait to see the story.
 
Hi Stephen,

Glad you enjoyed your trip in Ireland.

Take a look at a site Called Look Around Ireland http://www.lookaroundireland.com Click on the counties map and select Sligo. See the beautiful scenery of Yeats county. You can also visit the castles of Ireland and scenic spots.

Enjoy
John
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
More Mary Phylinda - A Country Alarm Clock
The Old Badger Game
Ma Joon and Chiao Tai - Two Fun-Loving Guys
Tolstoy Lite
Bill Mauldin Cartoons
Ike's Big Day
Kurt Vonnegut
The Protocols of the Wise Men of Zion
Best Five Bucks I Ever Spent
Three Cheers For Sir Astley Cooper


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger