Armchair Travel
Monday, July 16, 2007
  Welcome Feedback
Blogging is great fun when you're "on" and not as much fun when you're "off."

One thing that gets me back "on" when I'm "off" is reader feedback. At my high school reunion I was talking to a very close buddy whom I hardly ever see, and I usually don't do this but I mentioned I was writing a blog. Don't you hate people who are always carping about their blogs?

Anyway, he said, "I love your blog. I read it with my sons all the time." That put me on Cloud Nine for weeks. Thanks, Philip!

More recently I've heard from several readers who picked up the books I was talking about and really enjoyed them. I get a kick out of that because it's a way of giving something back to the authors who have given me so much enjoyment, even if they are most of them dead and gone.

Here's a review of "Captain Blood: He's Not Mean, That's Just His Name" from Jean Goforth of Alabama:

"Based on your post, I purchased used copies of 'Captain Blood' and 'Scaramouche'. I sat them on my husband's reading table (because my book-reading time is limited). Upon examining them, he said he didn't think they were 'his thing'. But he's absorbed by 'Scaramouche', immersed in that world, needing repeated calls before coming out of it. And that makes a memorable book. Can't wait for my turn. Thanks for the recommendation."

Scaramouche really is a corker. It was made into a movie, too.

Jean's fascinating blog "Go Forth Alabama" was recently picked up by the Alabama megasite al.com (congratulations, Jean!), so you can find it in two places here and here.

Jean also liked "Intrepid Solo Women's Travel -- Isabella Bird."

"I got my hands on this book when I was in high school," she writes. "I tried several times to read it, but never got very far. You've inspired me to try again. Thanks!"

Thank you, Jean. Once you get to her romance with Mountain Jim, the book will gallop away with you.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
Historians Can Be Incredibly Stupid
John Honeyman
Dear Mike K, Thanks for the Ride
Fifty Thousand Actual Dollars for an Imaginary Isl...
The Life of the Mind
Big News: Hemingway Wrote Great Books
Great Performances - Colleen Dewhurst, Richard Far...
Ellis Peters Equals Great Reads
Sssshhhh! You'll Scare the Fish
Dr. Seuss, Dr. Spock and Dr. T. Barry Brazelton


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger