Armchair Travel
Sunday, July 13, 2008
  The Shores of Lake Umbagog
I went down to the flea market in Hadley Sunday and picked up a book called We Took to the Woods by Louise Dickinson Rich. It was in a bunch of books that once belonged to a religious person named Ethel Holmes, who bought it the year it came out, 1942.

It was the only secular book among them. It was so out of place I can only conclude that Ethel and Louise must have known one another.

I found a book about the prophecies of Daniel that looked good and then I saw Louise's. There was a map on the inside cover and I saw Lake Umbagog, where I once went canoeing as a callow youth. We used to call it Lake UMbagog, but I gather it's UmBAYgog. Whatever.

The booth was empty and I had to ask around to find the guy who was selling Ethel's books. The neighboring sellers pointed him out to me.

You don't grab a book you really want and then ask what it costs. You leave the books in the box and gesture vaguely toward them and ask, "How much for books?"

This guy sized me up and said, "A buck."

I hate it when people size you up. You wonder if somebody else might get a better price, but the guy has your number. Well, after all, I did ask around.

But for a buck, I've already gotten two or three good movies worth of enjoyment, and I've only read the first hundred pages.

What's it like living on the shores of Lake Umbagog in 1942? Well it takes a whole chapter to explain what Louise and her husband Ralph do for a living. They live on a five-mile stretch of road and own four cars. It's extemely interesting, if you're interested.

I'll be posting some samples of Louise Rich's writing. It's really superb, but you have to get a decent size sample to appreciate it.

Reading this book reminded me of the tag sale in Northfield that I almost didn't stop at where I got a signed copy of Mary Phylinda Dole's authobiography or the times I first stumbled on Dame Shirley and Isabella Bird and Harry Golden.

It may be that I'm the only person in the world who could possibly enjoy this book, but that just makes it all the more enjoyable.
 
Comments:
I just started reading Louise Dickenson Rich's book -- I love it! The pronunciation of Umbagog, UmBAYgog, I'd like to get to the bottom of for a book I'm writing on NH language. Anything definitive on that from your end?

Rebecca Rule
Check my blog: livefreeandeatpie.com
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
In Which I Actually Dicker
Summer Stock Theater:The Hobbit Packs a Bag
Jimmy Breslin versus France
Who Is The True Friend?
The Big Day
Two Humps for Jack Madden
Herschel, Give Me a Hand Here
The Good People
High Gas Prices -- Where's the Downside?
The Quick-Thinking Duncan Dhu


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger