Armchair Travel
Thursday, December 11, 2008
  A Message from a Weary Pilgrim
I guess every journalist can remember their first by-line. A by-line is always a bit of a thrill, even after thirty years in the business.

A slightly cooler thrill is listening to a senator deliver a speech or a statement that you wrote for them on statewide television. I'll never forget that. I'll bet watching a good theater company perform a play you wrote might be cooler still.

But as a journalist/thrill seeker, I've found something way beyond these egocentric thrills -- the thrill of helping a weary pilgrim.

Back in 2005 my friend Susanne Hoder went to the Holy Land and spoke with Christians, Moslems and Jews about the problems there. She was part of a peace delegation from the United Methodist Church of Rhode Island, and she asked people in Palestine what kind of assistance would be most welcome. She was thinking they might want stethoscopes, or x-ray machines.

They said, "Tell our story."

Susanne was raised on a farm in Georgia, and when she was a little girl, members of the Jewish faith came to her congregation to say, respectfully, that racial segregation was wrong. Martin Luther King, in his Letter From a Birmingham Jail, acknowledged the work of Herschel Goldhirsch, later known as Harry Golden, in advancing the cause of justice.

I met Susanne when she drove all the way from Rhode Island to address a group of eight people in Hadley, and I could see that she was tired. But I could also see her passion. She was not going to quit. She reminded me of Natalia Solzhenitsyn who came to America in 1979 to ask Christians here, "Where were you when our church was being destroyed?"

So I arranged for Sony Stark to make a video of Susanne that we could show to a wider audience, people like me who know next to nothing about the conflict in the Holy Land. I was thinking it would at least give her some more time to spend with her family.

I know no one cares a whit about my opinions about the occupation of Palestine. Why should they?

But I truly believe every American should hear what Susanne Hoder has to say, and now it's going to happen. Our video is airing on Amherst Public Television soon, Northampton's next, and I have twenty copies in hand for public access stations all over the United States.

You can bet I'll send one to my hero, Rachel Maddow, and don't be surprised if you see Susanne on Oprah. Susanne's efforts are supported by true friends of Israel all over the world, including Holocaust survivors.

I you feel like it, you could give me and Susanne and Herschel Goldhirsch a hand with this. There's a public access station in your city or town, and as a citizen you can ask them to air whatever you want. Email me and I'll send you a copy.

Peace is possible, but it's up to us.
 
Comments:
Hi. This doesn't relate to your post here but I read in one of your pieces that you'd bought a copy of Andrew Wyeth's the Witching Hour. I'm in Toronto and trying like CRAZY to hunt down a print of it. Any help as to where you got it or good tip-offs as to where I should be looking would be soooooo deeply appreciated. I'm haunted by it.

Thanks and great blog.
Chris,
Toronto

(crossfire13 at yahoo dot com)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
Lucky Lindbergh Communes with the Spirits
The Tragedy of the Mumbai Attacks
A Passage to India
Helping Make History
A Great Slog
How the Good Guys Finally Won
One More Smart Remark...
La Amistad and the Greatness of America
A Footnote on Executive Privilege
Ernie Pyle Loses His Touch


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger