Armchair Travel
Sunday, April 05, 2009
  Back on Bullwinkle - Life is Good
It's great to get back on my bike, Bullwinkle, after a winter on the stationary bike at the gym. Thankfully I'm not having all the flats I had last year. Knock wood. I've found that if I take a nice long bike ride, life is good.

Bullwinkle is set up with extenders going straight up from the handlebars. I used to have two sets, which looked like antlers, hence the name, but I found one set is enough. The idea is to be able to sit up straight. Everyone tells you you have to be hunched over, but if you're not comfortable, you're not going to ride.

Sitting up straight means I'm not going to go very fast into the wind, especially given my aerodynamic profile, but I don't care about going fast. In fact I get a better workout than I would get hunched over.

Climbing hills I can shift into a "stair-climber" mode and apply my full body weight on the pedals.

It also allows me to use a tractor-style seat which supports the "sit bones" without any padding between them. It's much more comfortable. I'm surprised they're so hard to find.

I used to ride a lot with a couple of old farts like myself, and I remember talking about all the little adjustments that can make a big difference.

Seat height, for one thing. Too low and you'll wear out your knees because they'll be out in front of you and you won't be able to put your weight into the stroke. Too high and you have to extend the front of your foot at the bottom of the stroke and increase pressure on your crotch. A quarter inch one way or the other actually does make a big difference.

Ideally your foot should be level throughout the stroke, although you can always raise or lower the heel to apply different muscle sets.

Bullwinkle also has lateral extenders on the pedals moving them out an additional nine sixteenths of an inch from the frame. Like Senator Larry Craig, I have a wide stance, and on most bikes my legs would be bowed inward, increasing stress on the joints and reducing the amount of force I could apply to the pedal.

I kept noticing that by the end of the ride my feet would be on the outside half of the pedals, so I asked Norm Flye the bike guy and he got me the extenders. "Just a hair over half an inch on each side," I said. And he said that's how they come, nine sixteenths. I guess there are a lot of stocky Saxons out there.

I got a great Sigma headlight, too. On the high setting, you can find your contact lense, and on the low setting you can ride for more than an hour.

As soon as Spring arrives I'll put the milk crate on the back to hold my bathing suit and a towel and my fishing gear and it's off to Puffer's Pond.
 
Comments:
How did you come up with the name "Bullwinkle" ?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
The Truth With Less Trouble
What is Love?
A Ripping Good Read
The Surly Bonds of Earth
A Prodigious Work of Scholarship
Am I Allowed to Talk to You?
More Pretty Girls
So How Did Slavery Finally Come to an End?
Notes on Democracy
Arundel Gets Promoted


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger