Armchair Travel
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
  Bhante Kassapa Bhikkhu

"A pay phone was ringing, and it just about blew my mind.
When I picked it up and said hello this foot came through the line..."

Bob Dylan's 113th Dream.

I was talking to my daughter about something, I don't remember what, but I was about to say it "blew my mind." I'll never abandon the ideals of the hippie movement, but I'm the first to agree that many of its idioms should be left behind, and this may be one of them.

We talked about it and decided that I should just say it "changed everything I think about everything." I was touched when she put up a comment on the entry about Ernie Pyle's column "This Dreadful Masterpiece."

"This changed everything I think about everything," she said. I feel the same way. It is a truly breathtaking piece of writing.

I met a guy in Port Arthur, Texas, Bhante Kassapa Bhikkhu, who in a few moments, changed everything I think about everything. I was with a bunch of travel writers at the Buu Mon Temple and we had just been in Shangri-La and we had wanted to stay there. Can you blame us?

So we might have been a teeny bit grumpy, but after meeting and talking with Bhante Kassapa for a few minutes and touring the temple gardens, I felt this overhwhelming sense of peace and happiness, and all the other writers said they felt the same thing.

It was partly his words and his message: anyone can attain enlightenment, happiness is always within reach, everything you've always believed deep down inside is true after all.

It's a great message, but there was something else that went beyond what he said. I can't put my finger on it, but it was unmistakable. We all felt it. And I still feel it. It changed the way I read a newspaper and the way I fold my rain gear.

It's surprising how much happier you can be if you're not aggravated by human stupidity, greed and folly or frustrated by inanimate objects.

See what you think of his talk about Buddhism Basics.

Bhante Kassapa served in the US Air Force and later became a Franciscan monk. Then he left the order and worked for the US Aviation Administration for 17 years before becoming a Buddhist monk at the Buu Mon Temple in Port Arthur.

Once I checked, I found he has lots of fun clips on YouTube. Here he replies to a guy who asks him why he turned his back on God.
 
Comments:
Very well done! I will say that there was an intangible feeling that overcame me while there. I felt as if I had opened my mind and heart, even if just for that moment. Walking through the lotus gardens and speaking with him was enlightening. What a wonderful man, and funny too! Maybe it was something in the tea....j/k
 
Travel almost always changes the way I understand the world.
 
I know the feeling you speak of. I remember the first meditation class I attended. We arrived early and had time to meet with the Bhante Kassapa before the class. I agree that the way he speaks and the way he interacts with you just automatically makes you feel better. Since I've watched his YouTube videos and listened to his Dhamma talks on podcast and it just seems to have a mind opening effect. It's helped me already and I've only been looking into it for a couple weeks. I hope my future attendance will continue to bring me peace and clarity in oneself.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
Martin Luther King, Jackie Roosevelt Robinson and ...
Sojourners
Don't Tell Darlings
Corporate Drug Dealers
Everyone is Crying Out to Me, Beware
Yrsa Sigurdardottir
College Reunions
Yet Another Fan of Mike Kittredge
Cards from Mom
An Addendum


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger