Armchair Travel
Monday, August 03, 2009
  The Fine Art of Being Yourself
Tonight I took the bull by the horns and finished my Houston story. It took seven hours of intense grappling, but it's done. I have a deal with GoNOMAD that when I'm fussing over my stories, I do it off the clock, as one of our writers would do.

I can't wait to go in tomorrow and pop in the photos. That I can do on the clock because I do it for all our writers.

This Houston story was really hard because, for one thing, I had a great time and our hosts were so gracious and such nice people that I really wanted to do justice to the destination and hold up the GoNOMAD reputation.

And I've always done too much fussing over pieces with my name on them. My freelance career was, like, "Wow, they paid me $200 and it only took three weeks. At this rate I'll be... bankrupt soon."

On top of that, I visited my Houstonian friends Geoff Walker and Ann Kennedy, whom I deeply love and admire, and I had to write something that hopefully they would like, too.

The whole thing came together when I figured out how to put myself into the story. A lot of our writers do this naturally, but for me it takes a while to figure out.

I had devised a title, "Houston Texas: A Great Place to Be Yourself" which I liked. I think what took almost three months was the line, "Being yourself sounds like a simple proposition, but in my experience, it's not; and it is from literature, music and the arts that we learn from others how to do a better job of it."

I had been bowled over by some great exhibits at the Museum of Contemporary Art which I'm definitely going to work into a gallery, but talking about them would have been an overlong sidetrack from the main story -- stuff that I find really interesting, but many readers might not.

One guy had a bible rotating on a turntable in a diorama about his college days -- see he had me right there, tho' someone else might not get it. It was in a plexiglass case with cigarette butts, empty liquor bottles and albums from the 70s that served as a bar where he sold drinks in the museum.

Another guy had a junk shop in the museum where he sold stuff. He had a painting called Ocean of Tears that I'm thinking of purchasing and donating to the Museum of Bad Art in my hometown of Dedham, Massachusetts.

And there were lots of other great exhibits like Gallery 1.6 and the Fundred Dollar Bill Project, and so many others.

But all this stuff was too difficult to explain.

Instead I invoked two Houston artists who have made an impact on the world in a uniquely Houston way. The postal worker who created the backyard museum known as the Orange Show, dedicated to his favorite fruit, that spawned the foundation that brought you the Art Car Parade, and the Beer Can House guy who spent 40 years siding his house with beer cans and making curtains out of ring tops.

Here were guys who had a lot of great ideas about how to be yourself.

Then I found the student named Roxanne who decided to be an artist after visiting the Orange Show. Her teacher left a comment on the Orange Show website.

And I realized, here it was, the spark being passed along. After that it was a piece of cake.
 
Comments:
"Being yourself sounds like a simple proposition, but in my experience, it's not; ..."

I agree 100% Steve.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
Jimmy and Me Went to School
A Tribute to the Predicate Nominative
The Bishop of America
Towns Are Like People
Make the Government Pay
Way to Go Zach!
Preppy Loafers For a Dime
Using the Entire Fleet
The Handmade Blade, The Child's Balloon
The Pudgy Guy on the Vespa


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger