Armchair Travel
Wednesday, December 02, 2009
  Things Left Undone
.

When I was a choirboy at St. Paul's Church in Dedham, Massachusetts, after we had marched out of the church, we stood there by the door while the Reverend Rudy Rowell pronounced what I guess they call the benediction.

I can still hear his stentorian tones: "For we have left undone those things which we ought to have done, and we have done those things which we ought not to have done, and there is no health in us, etc. etc."

Without doubt I have done numerous things which I ought not to have done and I hope I have learned all I could from these mistakes. But after you've learnt what you can, you have to move along.

"Done's done," said my friend Roger Patt one day, and it was as if he had snapped his fingers and cleared up a lot of stuff for me. "Done's done."

Undone -- now that's something else again.

This weekend I had a wonderful dinner with some friends from college, but they were so... successful, and so... happily married. They were retiring from distinguished careers and I am still trying to ascend the first few rungs of Maslow's hierarchy.

It prompted a few reflections about my life, which has been wonderful, but which may not have been all that it could have been in terms of accomplishments.

And for all you young people out there, let me offer this insight: While I regret doing those things which I ought not to have done, that's over and done with.

The greater, open-ended regret is having left undone those things which I ought to have done. Those undone things stick with you. I'm not exactly sure what they are, and it is a bit late, but I think I just might get started on them now.
.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
Roman Skaskiw - A Faceful of Truth
A Field Hospital in North Africa
Surrealistic Sculptures
Looking for Lincoln
The Enemy is Retreating; It's Time to Charge
Hadley History
Moments of Delight
Baby With Spaghetti
Cornelia Hancock's Rosy Cheeks
Futile Care


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger