Armchair Travel
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
  Entering the Twenty-First Century
I would be greatly remiss if I did not acknowledge in this blog the individual who has dragged me, kicking and screaming, into the twenty-first century.

Back around 1978, I think it was, I was the editor of the "Granite State Gazette" and I hired, right out of high school, a young cub reporter named Max Hartshorne. Best move I ever made. We had some great times at that paper before he went on to fame and glory in Portland.

Max was into the computer age early on; I inherited his old Kaypro, which for me was a big step up from the old selectric typewriters I had been using since college days.

I remember when he told me I ought to get something called "email" I replied that I didn't have anything to say to anybody in the world. Pretty funny when you look at all these blog entries.

Years later he bought a website. I didn't really know what one was. Now it turns out that while web design involves a bunch of skills hitherto unknown to humanity, a website still requires a lot of old-fashioned editing skills that date back to Homer -- not Homer Simpson, the blind Greek guy.

So now I get to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world as associate editor of GoNOMAD. And for an old-fashioned newspaper editor, web design is like being in Oz.
Back at the Granite State Gazette we used to have to literally cut and paste strips of type and headlines and get someone to make half-tones of the photos, which generally ended up looking like they were taken in a coal mine.

Now it's edit the copy, insert photos, align left, align right, put in links -- which, when you think about it, are really kind of super twenty-first century footnotes -- put in some key words for the spiders, you know, and bingo!

Max and GoNOMAD Webmaster Joe O'Beng, my friend and patient teacher, are introducing me, in small doses, to the mysteries of HTML. Somtimes I even edit the code! Imagine that.

And all this because a guy had a little vision and decided to be bold! Way to go, Max. And thanks.
 
Comments:
wow Steve this makes me feel really good. Thank you, I am also getting quite addicted to your blog!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
"This Girl and I Liked to Whirl"
"This Dreadful Masterpiece"
Ike's Advice - Dien Bien Phu
"Our Predicament Was Damned Humiliating"
"An Experiement I Would Not Particularly Like to R...
Red Pants, That's France!
de Graff, de Grasse and the Siege at Yorktown
Consider the St. Lawrence Seaway
The Emperor and the Transient Preacher
A Tennis Racket on Omaha Beach


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger