Armchair Travel
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
  Books I Can't Not Buy
I know I have a problem. I admit it. The last time I moved I had five truckloads worth of books, and that was 12 years ago. Now who knows.

I don't buy anything I can get at the library, and I don't buy anything because someone else might want it. But then there are these books I can't not buy.

This Sunday it was World Enough and Time by Robert Penn Warren and The Cocktail Party by T.S. Eliot.

Robert Penn Warren used to eat lunch at Silliman College when I was there. I always had this vague idea that I should go and sit with him, but I never did. Maybe I missed a life-changing moment, but I don't think so. Let the guy eat his lunch in peace is what I thought.

I read All the King's Men about Huey Long, and it could just be the Great American Novel, but no one will ever know whether it is or not, so let's just say it's a good book. And I had never heard of World Enough and Time. That usually means it didn't sell many copies, but that also means it's obscure, so I had to have it.

The title is from Andrew Marvell's poem, "To His Coy Mistress."

"Had we but world enough and time, this coyness, lady, were no crime..." Like many adolescent males, I memorized it just in case I might find it useful in some romantic situation. Never happened. Good poem, though.

"And your quaint honor turned to dust and into ashes all my lust." The argument, I think, is that the coy mistress should have sex with the poet because we're all going to die. Can't argue with that.

As for The Cocktail Party, by T.S. Eliot, it's a play. Why hasn't it been performed on Broadway? People devote their lives to a single poem by Eliot.

"The Wasteland," which he probably knocked off in an afternoon, has been the subject of 529,097,321 or so postgraduate theses in the World of Academia because he makes all these obscure references that academics have such tremendous fun tracking down.

In Academia, there is no distinction between obscurity and profundity; to an academic, they're exactly the same.

Isn't it odd that a few pages, scribbled in a few hours, should generate, literally, enough verbiage to fill twenty freight cars? I think it has to do with the ratio of creators to analyzers.

So why hasn't The Cocktail Party been produced on Broadway and made into a movie? I'll let you know.

I was in Eliot's Murder in the Cathedral as a young nitwit -- I played the third priest -- and believe me, it was a corker!

"In the still, small circle of pain within the skull
You still shall tramp and tread your endless round of thought
To justify your actions to yourselves,
Weaving a fiction which unravels as you weave,
Pacing forever in the hell of make-believe, which never is belief..."

I know why Murder in the Cathedral never made it to Broadway. No women!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
A Grave Illness, A Simple Remedy
Jimmy Breslin - Old Time Reporting
Where is the Knowing?
Changelings
The Other Winston Churchill
The Shores of Lake Umbagog
In Which I Actually Dicker
Summer Stock Theater:The Hobbit Packs a Bag
Jimmy Breslin versus France
Who Is The True Friend?


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger