Armchair Travel
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
  My Mom, Who Made Me Bookish
My mom, who made me bookish, is about six years old right now. About a year ago she knew who Shakepeare was. Today she can't remember where she went an hour ago. Alas, she can't read, as she always used to do. Her house is filled with books.

I worked with a woman with dementia several years ago when I worked for a company called Barton's Angels, and the owner, Nancy Barton Whitley, taught me an important lesson. She and I took this client, was completely disoriented, to a gathering at Nancy's house, and she was the life of the party! She had a swell time, and so did everyone else.

She didn't have to remember anyone or anything.

It's a very sad thing that my mom is going back in time, but there's no time right now to think about how sad that is. On the flip side, she's six years old and I can make her happy every day.

I'm going to have some parties. Mom's still great at making friends.

Here's a little ironic twist: I have this old mirror at my house and I kept thinking I would stencil on it those lines from T. S. Eliot: "There will be time/ There will be time/ To prepare a face/ To meet the faces that you meet," and give it to my mom for the upstairs bathroom in the old house.

Wouldn't that be cool, on a mirror? I knew my mom would love it, being a teacher of literature. But I never got around to it.

So I guess the lesson is: don't postpone those home handicraft projects; you never know when they'll become moot.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
The Mathematics of Revolution
More Fun With Nicholas and Alexandra
Thomas Jefferson's Mixed-Race Children
Will Rogers
Two Old Foes
Blueberries for Sal
Nicholas and Alexandra
What Makes a Great Vacation?
One Swell Vacation
Books I Can't Not Buy


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger