Armchair Travel
Saturday, August 15, 2009
  Brave Sweet Sally
It looks like my mom, who made me bookish, is not going to regain consciousness. She was living in an assisted living facility for alzheimers patients with a yellow cockatoo that dances when you whistle, and we thought she'd be there for years.

She had lost all recollection, but she was still fun to be with. Every time I saw her we laughed and laughed.

It looks like we'll be writing an obituary soon -- I dearly hope I'm wrong but facts are facts -- so I've been recollecting memories of what a wonderful person she was -- the neighborhood circus she organized when we were little, abd the family Prize Day ceremonies we had every year.

These were meant to emphasize the importance of academic achievement and inspire us to new heights. The culmination was when she herself donned her special robes was about to step onto the stage to received her PhD at Brown University.

I'll never forgesther inspiring words to me on that occasion: "Big waste of time and effort."

I'm also recalling the songs and skits she invented for Skit Night in South Conway, New Hampshire, where we went in the summer when we were kids and where she and my dad later retired..

"It's raining, it's pouring, but I can keep on snoring.
I left my kids at Granny Thornes' and I won't pick them up 'til the morning,"

You would have to know Granny Thorne to get the joke, but take my word for it, it was funny and all the South Conway parents and kids in the audience got a good laugh.

Our family also remembers the canoe/float she designed for Venetian Night at the South Conway Club, with my cousin Chris as Cleopatra.

Whenever we visited her in New Hampshire, she always worked in a play at the Barnstormers in Tamworth or the North Conway Players. After all the outdoor recreation, she made sure we had something intellectual to chew on too.

She was a very, very good listener and very empathetic. Naturally I would say that since I'm her son, but there are a lot of people who can back me on this.

When she was getting her master's degree at Boston College, one of the teaching assistants didn't show up, so they asked her to become a fellow, and her fellow fellows were people from my generation for whom she was both a colleague and a mentor.

It was kind of automatic for her to think of others. She loved to shop, but it was for presents that other people might like.

That was my indomitable mom, who made me bookish. In the last year of her life I met Brave Sweet Sally who kept her love of humanity and her sense of humor while, as she put it, "The world went crazy."

She knew she was losing her mind but she focused on love and laughter.

I know lots of people who are on reasonable terms with death, ready to accept it as the natural end of life. But the loss of our faculties at the end is a scary idea for all of us.

Brave Sweet Sally lost 'em all and walked right through the fire like Shadrach, Meshach and Abendego. She was still brave and sweet and she still loved a good laugh.

I don't know if she heard me, but I told Sally I hope she comes back to us, in whatever shape she might be, but I really don't think it's going to happen.
 
Comments:
Steve, it is very difficult to find right words and it is equally difficult to walk away from this post without saying anything. I wanted you to know that I read this and wanted to say something, just couldn't find the right words..
 
A beautiful tribute, Steve, well said and hard to say I'm sure.
 
I like that you continue to refer to you mom as "my mom, who made me bookish."

Being bookish myself, I think it's a fine quality and wish more and more people shared it.

I think it's a great tribute to your mother.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
Visions of a Better World
The Ideal Whereunto Mankind Slowly Draws Near
Developing as a Writer
Heading for the Light
Pre-Code Movies and Salacious Paperbacks
The Fine Art of Being Yourself
Jimmy and Me Went to School
A Tribute to the Predicate Nominative
The Bishop of America
Towns Are Like People


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger