Armchair Travel
Monday, August 17, 2009
  Brave Sweet Sally Soldiers On
My mom has actually regained consciousness, sort of, which is a big surprise to my brothers and me, because we thought that Alzheimer's had shut down her brain and we were accustomed to the inexorable, non-reversible nature of the disease.

She has had a very fast-acting version which took away not only the ability to form memory, which most patients lose first, but also all memories whatsoever, early or late, which most patients retain.

She and I met Barack and Michelle Obama in Conway, NH, in the summer of 2007, and we both agreed they were the real deal. She still had all her marbles. Two years later she didn't know who William Shakespeare was and didn't know I was her son.

But now she's opening her eyes completely and sometimes tries to form words. I do believe she's coming back, at least a little way, and that's a small miracle, which we'll take. Miracles are miracles.

Sitting by her bedside is no agony at all, but really more joyful. I know that sounds daffy, but Sally is so peaceful and strong.

She reaches for the oxygen tube on her nose and tries to pull it off, but I told her "No, honey. Leave that there. They put it on to help you breath." Then she took the part of the tube on her chest and held it between her fingers the way she always used to hold her necklaces when she was interested in something someone was saying.

And she's so brave. It just seems to radiate out from her in waves. Here she is, in complete mental confusion, robbed of her education, her dignity, and every vestige of selfhood, facing death itself, and she's still brave and sweet and thinking of others.

I get such an overwhelming sense of what a great mom I have. On her death bed she's still inspiring me.

It's always hard to leave, but tonight I had a plan: I sang to her, show tunes, hymns, Bach cantatas. So I think she was quite happy to see me go.

When I left I instinctively put my had on her forehead the way she used to do when we were sick or pretending to be sick to see if we had a fever. Then I kissed her on the cheek and she smiled.
 
Comments:
I am so glad to read this post!
 
Happy to know she is good but at the same time the post made me almost cry.
I wish her to be at home soon.
Mom - always the best.
I cant type more. :.(
Prayers !!!
 
Ah. Touching entry, Steve. My grandmother, who suffered a similar thing, used to go through brief periods where the fog seemed to lift as well.

And it is strange, isn't it, how the disease does seem as though it robs everything (education, memories) and yet there does linger this very hard-to-put-your-finger-on sense of the person.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
Brave Sweet Sally
Visions of a Better World
The Ideal Whereunto Mankind Slowly Draws Near
Developing as a Writer
Heading for the Light
Pre-Code Movies and Salacious Paperbacks
The Fine Art of Being Yourself
Jimmy and Me Went to School
A Tribute to the Predicate Nominative
The Bishop of America


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger