Armchair Travel
Monday, September 14, 2009
  Sally Hartshorne
Sarah Jane Dickson Hartshorne - Sally, as she was known - died peacefully September 6 at the Center for Extended Care in Amherst, Massachusetts.

She was born October 27, 1928, in Montclair, New Jersey, to Charles Keith Dickson and Anne Brown Dickson. She grew up in New Canaan, Connecticut, and attended Rosemary Hall in Wallingford. She graduated from Vassar College in 1948.

In 1949 she married Robert Doremus Hartshorne, Jr. and they lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and later moved to Dedham, where they raised four sons.

Sally was a member of St. Paul's Church, the Dedham Choral Society, the League of Women Voters and the town's Fair Housing Committee.

In 1978 she earned a Master's Degree from Boston College, where she taught for many years. She also taught at Brown University, where she was awarded a PhD in Literature in 1990. She published a number of scholarly papers about American women writers including Harriet Beecher Stowe, Willa Cather, and Marilynn Robinson.

She loved to share her love of learning with others and acted as a mentor and supporter to many students, colleagues, and friends.

In 1990 Bob and Sally moved to Waterbrooks, the home in South Conway, New Hampshire, where they had spent vacations for many years. Sally was an active member of the South Conway Club and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Conway Public Library, where she helped to oversee a major expansion.

She was a member of the Democratic Party and an early and enthusiastic supporter of Barack Obama.

Her interests included tending her beautiful gardens, climbing in the White Mountains, sailing on the coast of Maine, traveling the world, cross-country skiing, tennis, bicycling, and above all, reading. She was also a lover of animals and kept numerous dogs, cats, rabbits, and even a pet quail.

She was known to friends and family for her kindness, her lively wit, and her support and understanding in times of need.

During the last year of her life she lost her memory and most of her faculties, but hung on with determination to her love of life, her sense of humor, and her love and consideration for others. She was always ready to make a new friend and have a good laugh. When at last she could no longer speak, she could still smile.

She is survived by her husband Robert, her sons Robert, Stephen, Paul, and Charles, her daughers-in-law Laurie Ellis and Allison Foster, and her granddaughters Sarah and Joanna.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, October 3, at 2 p.m. at the South Deerfield Congregational Church. A second memorial service will be held October 31 at 2 p.m. at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Tamworth, New Hampshire.

In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to the Conway Public Library.

Sally's granddaughter and namesake has a wonderful entry on her blog, Erratic in Heels.
 
Comments:
Steve, I am sorry for your loss. I had not known about this when we had the GoNOMAD meeting. This post really touched me. Again, I am so very sorry.
 
Your wonderful tribute was forwarded to me by my step-mother, Judy Caner. I remember well your mother's warmth and laughter. Still in my mind is a memory of walking up the front path to your Dedham house and having her greet me with a big smile and welcoming words. I was, of course, incredibly nervous and self-conscious, as you were my first crush ever.
I hope you and your family are holding up. I know she would wish that for you.
God Speed,
Janet Caner
 
Steve I haven't seen you or any of your family for so many years, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom.
I think about all the time that passes and the visits and contacts that I don't make and worry that someone will slip away. I remember great times in Dedham and wish I had stayed in touch.
My heart goes out to you, your father and your brothers.
Please say hello to Paul.
Pete Rogers / progers@juno.com
 
to the hartshorne family from brooks rogers (son of judy caner and step-son of harrison caner). my memories of norfolk st, school st,and st. paul's church in dedham, ma. very much include your mother, warm and welcoming.
i would like to celebrate what your mom and so many of our moms and their friends have made possible during our lifetime. the involvement in their communities, their search for further education, and their desire for world peace is something to aspire to. all while dealing with our 'experimental' generation.
thinking of you all at this time, brooks and family in rindge, nh.
 
A great passing for me and for the Conway Library Universe.

Thinking thoughts about all of you.

George
 
Steve,I would like to convey my condolences to you and all of your family on the loss of your beloved mother. Across many years working with her in the Office of Admissions at Brandeis and decades after as her friend, I came to know Sally quite well—ever beautiful, cheerful, funny, smart, clear-thinking, and wise. She was indeed a reader, a lover of books, a writer, a teacher—and she surely loved literature. Still, among her greatest glories were your warm and wonderful Dad, her four sons and their families—and of course her grandchildren. I loved the cookie-making youtube video with her grandchildren I reached through your niece’s blog – the Sarah who carries her grandmother’s name and, I sense, much of her spirit as well. At Brandeis I loved reading Sally’s interview notes in that inimitable hand of hers, once made famous in an article I believe written by one of your uncles in Esquire magazine called “My Sister-in-Law’s Handwriting.” The article was cute and funny about decoding her script. But I never had trouble with it and thought it so revealing of her: Quick, elegant, upright, smart, and always to the point, with a smile and a wink thrown in, all accomplished in 150 words. Your right: Her smile will remain before all of us who love her and are graced by having her in our lives still; her memory a blessing. My wife Joan joins me in sending deep condolences to all of your family.

Michael Kalafatas
 
Hi Steve, Mike Kalafatas gave me the sad news of your mother's passing and I am so sorry. I met your mother nearly 40 years ago when I was 22 years old and beginning my first job out of college at the Brandeis Admissions Office. How lucky I was to begin my work life in Boston, far from my small-town home in the Midwest with a woman like Sally as a colleague, mentor and role-model. I remember we had a cake on her 41st birthday. I wondered at that, partly, I guess, because I was so young, but more because Sally was ageless. Numbers did not really pertain to her. I wondered, too, when she talked about having been up since 6 am tending her garden and getting Chick-o-shay to school before coming to work...I who had rolled out of bed at 8 and rolled in from Brighton at 9:00! I loved her stories about her 4 boys, Robbie, Steve, Paul and Shay (shady?). As one of 4 sisters growing up, I had an affinity for all-of-a-kind families, and for you, Steve, as I am also #2 of 4. I think of your mother from time to time over the years and as sad as it is to hear of this loss, I have enjoyed thinking of her...no doubt the queen of the Admissions Office: Sally was the most beautiful, the most intelligent, the kindest, the most open and surely, the most fun. I have quoted her over the years: something she taught me when things are very busy and threatening to become overwhelming, "but what are we doing for fun?" My sincere condolences to you and your family.

Marcia Gralnek Katz
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Literary gadfly Stephen Hartshorne writes about books that he finds at flea markets and rummage sales.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Sunderland, Massachusetts, United States

Stephen Hartshorne worked in newspapers and magazines around New England for many years and served as Information Officer in the New Hampshire Senate under Senate President Vesta Roy. He worked as a material handler for nine years at the Yankee Candle Company until the company was taken over by corporate weasels. He is currently the associate editor of GoNOMAD.com, an alternative travel website, which gives him the opportunity to correspond with writers and photographers all over the world. He lives in Sunderland, Massachusetts, with his daughter Sarah, a student at Drew University, and their cat, Dwight D. Eisenmeower. This blog is dedicated to his mom, who made him bookish.

ARCHIVES
February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / March 2007 / April 2007 / May 2007 / June 2007 / July 2007 / August 2007 / September 2007 / October 2007 / November 2007 / December 2007 / January 2008 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 /


MOST RECENT POSTS
For Real Comfort, There's Northing Like a Shroud
A Coat, A Hat and a Gun
The Lobster Coast
Brave Sweet Sally Soldiers On
Brave Sweet Sally
Visions of a Better World
The Ideal Whereunto Mankind Slowly Draws Near
Developing as a Writer
Heading for the Light
Pre-Code Movies and Salacious Paperbacks


MY FAVORITE BLOGS
  • Kent St. John's Be Our Guest
  • Max Hartshorne's Readuponit
  • Mridula's Travel Tales from India
  • Paul Shoul's new Photo Blog Round World Photo
  • GoNOMAD Travel Website Great Travel Writing
  • Sony Stark's Blog "Cross That Bridge"
  • GoNOMAD's Travel Reader Blog Travel Articles
  • Sarah Hartshorne's "Erratic in Heels"
  • Posting comments can be a pain. Email me.




  • Powered by Blogger